If you thought Christmas was all about food, food and food think again. Drinks play as important a role as food does during Christmas. This is evident from the large number of traditional Christmas drinks that are popular around the world. Let’s take a look at some of the world’s most popular Christmas drinks.
Wassail (United Kingdom)
Image source: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/12/new-world-wassail-drink-to-your-health_14.html
The name of the drink, Wassail, is derived from the old British tradition of ‘Wassailing’, which basically involves going from house to house, singing carols, wishing people good health and sharing a hot cuppa of the spiced ale cider. The drink is a part of the British Christmas custom of passing good health and happiness among family and friends.
Here’s how you can make this traditional British Christmas drink.
4 cups Apple Cider or Natural Apple Juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
½ inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 lemons (juice extract)
1.5 fluid ounce Bourbon per person
Sugar as per requirement
1. Combine all the non alcoholic ingredients in a saucepan and simmer it for 30 minutes.
2. Measure out Bourbon into individual glasses and pour in the hot spiced cider.
Image source: https://www.tumblr.com/search/gl%C3%B6gg
Glogg is a popular warm Christmas drink in Scandinavia. The drink is available as an alcoholic red wine version and also as a non-alcoholic version made of grape juice. Glogg is spiced with cloves, cinnamon and orange and is served hot to beat the winter chill. The drink can be accompanied with a sprinkling of raisins and almonds.
Raise a toast to the festive season by making this drink today, using this simple recipe.
1 1/4 litres Red Wine
¼ litre Brandy
½ tablespoon cardamom
¼ orange peel
½ cinnamon stick
½ cup sugar
½ tablespoon cloves
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup raisins
2 dried figs(optional)
1. Heat the Wine, Brandy, nuts, orange peel and spices in a saucepan for 45 minutes. (Do not bring to a
boil, only simmer)
2. Pour all the contents into a strainer to remain with just the liquid.
3. Distribute sugar in glasses and pour the hot Glogg over it.
Image source: http://www.distilleriemoccia.it/en/checkage/
One of Italy’s favourite Christmas drinks is the Bombardino, a drink that is made with Brandy and advocaat, a traditional Dutch alcoholic beverage made from eggs, sugar and brandy. The drink is very easy to make; all you need to do is mix the Brandy and advocaat together and heat it to a boiling point. If you prefer a good amount of sweetness to the drink, then you can reduce the amount of Brandy and top the drink off with whipped cream.
Relish this Italian delicacy by making it, following the steps below.
1 cup Brandy
1 cup advocaat
Whipped cream to top
1. Pour the Brandy and advocaat into a saucepan and keep it at medium heat. Remove the pan from the
heat as soon as it reaches a boiling point.
2. Pour the mixture into a clear coffee glass and top it off with some whipped cream.
Cola De Mono (Chile)
Image source: https://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/139369/cola-de-mono-traditional-chilean-holiday-beverage/
The name of this drink means ‘monkey’s tail’ in Chilean. This Christmas drink from Chile is cold and creamy and is made up of Chilean aguardiente, milk, vanilla bean, coffee, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. The aguardiente can also be replaced with alternatives like Rum and Brandy if you like.
This exotic Christmas drink needs to be experienced at least once. Follow this recipe and enjoy!
2 cups milk
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup instant coffee
½ cup aguardiente
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
½ teaspoon cloves (optional)
1. Bring milk, sugar and spices to a boil in a saucepan. Once the milk is heated, add coffee and stir.
2. Put the mixture in the fridge to cool.
3. Once cold, add aguardiente. The drink is now ready to serve.
Coquito (Puerto Rico)
Image source: http://tlloh.com/coquito/
This rich Puerto Rican Christmas blend is made of spiced Rum, condensed milk, coconut cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. The best way to enjoy this delicious beverage is by having it cold.
Here’s how you can make this delectable drink right at home:
2 cans coconut cream
1 can evaporated milk
1 can sweet condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Rum
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp nutmeg powder
1. Set the ingredients in a blender at high speed for five minutes.
2. Refrigerate the mix and serve it chilled.
Eggnog (United States)
Image source: http://www.localnomad.com/pt/blog/2011/12/20/como-preparar-o-eggnog-a-gemada-norte-americana/
Eggnog is one of the most popular Christmas drinks in the world. This warm and creamy drink will definitely raise your Christmas spirits and rid you of your winter blues. The drink only takes a few ingredients – milk, eggs and sugar. You can add some Rum or Bourbon to the mix to give it a festive cheer.
Cheer up with this traditional drink. Follow this recipe to make it today.
2 ½ large eggs
1/2 cup sugar (granules)
¾ cup whipped cream
1/4 tbsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole milk
½ cup Rum
¼ cup Whiskey
¼ tsp salt
1. Beat egg whites and ¼ cup sugar until thick. In a separate bowl beat egg yolks and salt until thick.
Combine both the mixtures together and beat it till you get a thick consistency.
2. Use another bowl to beat cream, ¼ cup sugar and vanilla until it’s thick. Add milk, Rum and Whiskey
to the cream mix and beat continuously.
3. Combine all the mixes together and heat in the microwave/stove for about 2-3 minutes. It is ready to
be served. You can also have it chilled if you like.
Image source: http://tilbrookestate.com.au/2014/07/winter-reds-and-gluhwein/
The warm Christmas drink from Germany, Gluhwein is also known as mulled Wine. This drink mainly consists of red Wine that is spiced with ingredients such as cardamom, ginger, orange and cinnamon. Once all the ingredients are blended, they are heated till boiling point and enjoyed on a chilly Christmas night.
Warm yourself on a cold winter evening with a warm glass of Gluhwein. Follow this recipe to make it.
½ cup water
½ cup sugar
2 cinnamon sticks
1 orange (juiced)
1 bottle of Red Wine
1. Mix water, Wine, spices, sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Heat the mix but make sure it doesn’t
2. Add orange peel and let the mix simmer for 10-15 minutes. The drink is ready to serve.
Ponche Navideno (Mexico)
Image source: http://cincominutos.com.mx/ponche-navideno.html
Mexico celebrates its Christmas with some delicious punch. This Christmas punch is usually a mix of ingredients such as raisins, prunes, citrus fruits, sugarcane juice, apples and pears. Alcoholic beverages such as Tequila and Rum can also be added to the mix as per your preference.
Experience the Christmas spirit with a glass of Ponche Navideno. Make this classic drink at home today by following this recipe.
3 cups water
2 tejocotes fruits(optional)
½ tamarind pod
1 ½ guavas, chopped
1 cup sugarcane juice
½ lb prunes chopped
½ green apple, peeled and chopped
½ pear, chopped
1 large orange (juiced)
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ cinnamon stick
1. Place water in a large saucepan. Add cinnamon and tejocotes and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Put in the rest of the ingredients into the saucepan and let it simmer for about an hour.
3. The drink is ready. Serve it hot with a generous amount of the ingredients; you may also add some
Rum if you like.
So this Christmas, accompany all the delicious food with some unique and traditional Christmas drinks. Bengaluru Duty Free has a great liquor collection, which you can browse and pre-order at http://goo.gl/ob1kqe.